Once again we are at the end of a weekend, be it a long one. But so much was achieved over the last three days! Family were enjoyed, timber was purchased, nails were embedded and Camp Anduramba took one giant step closer to the dream.
On Saturday Dom and I were up early with car packed with gardening implements and tools and our two dogs. The goal was to tidy up the block as on Sunday we were expecting guests! Oh, and we recently purchased four lovely brackets and some boxes chock full of nails and bolts – so Dom was keen to attach brackets to shed, in preparation for building a shelter onto the front of the shed.
The shed as it was:
Lots of brush cutting was done, tidying up the previously cropped camp area, adding a new swanky driveway and even a meandering garden path to somewhere… In the morning we had visited the local scrap merchant in Crows Nest, hoping to pick up all of the lumbar and tin required to construct our shelter. After being told to rummage outside and take what we want – Dom got stuck in choosing the best lengths of timber. This was short lived, however as the shop keep came out of her shed hideaway to advise us that actually, that timber wasn’t for sale. When questioned as to what timber was for sale, the answer? None! Umm. Ok! The tin was for sale, however, and we quickly availed ourselves of six sheets, at only $2.00 a sheet! Bargain! A roof for $12.00.
So, on the block, Dom got busy with his power tools and with some cooperative communication through the shell of the shed, the four brackets were in place.
Sunday saw the happy arrival of our visitors. First to arrive was Bethany and family, including relatives all the way from Austria! Our first foreign guests on the block… We met up with the travelling group, booked them into their hotel and went to the lovely Picnic Point for a spot of breakfast. Next to arrive was Luke, totally unaware that he was about to be conscripted to the Camp Anduramba work force! Into our cars we clambered and out to the block we commuted.
On arrival we threw together a lovely cold meat and fresh salad picnic lunch and enjoyed the serenity – or sat in fear of Australian native wildlife, depending on Nationality :) In true blogging style, I managed to not remember to get a photo of this gathering… maybe someone else did?
After lunch the tourists and their chaperones were off and Luke, Dom and I got busy in framing up the shelter in preparation for the roof.
Some discussion was held:
Monday morning and Dom and I were up again to farewell Luke and head out to the local hardware conglomerate to get the battens needed for fixing our tin. We had not imaged that we would be needing them so soon, but this was a weekend of big movements! So battens sourced, once again we were at the block in our best work wear and ready to get the next step completed.
With much climbing about without a safety net Dom had all the lengths in place and strapped down tightly in a matter of hours.
Working as a highly efficient unit, one aloft and the other firmly grounded, we were ready to experiment with tin placement by mid afternoon. $12.00 worth of tin was dragged out of the shed and placed about first one way, then the next, and yes, I am afraid there was not enough! So another trip to the junkyard is called for, as is a session with limited batteries running a low powered drill. Much fun to be had. But as a teaser – check this out!